A vanitas painting is a still life artwork which includes various symbolic objects designed to remind the viewer of their mortality and of the worthlessness of worldly goods and pleasures.
The Old Muses
In my abstraction, I have displayed artifacts belonging to the classical Greek Muses:
- Calliope, muse of epic poetry.
- Euterpe, muse of music.
- Clio, muse of history.
- Erato, muse of love poetry.
- Melpomene, muse of tragedy.
- Polyhymnia, muse of sacred poetry.
- Terpsichore, muse of dance.
- Thalia, muse of comedy.
- Urania, muse of astronomy.